Sunday, November 8, 2009

Thanksgiving

Hello friends,
It has been a while since I have posted and there really isn't that much to tell. I am well and content, I guess, that I still have a job and am basically healthy, other than arthritis. I want to wish everyone a happy Thanksgiving this year. I am planning on having my friend Julie over for Thanksgiving. Since we are both alone and have no family close by. We have been sharing this holiday since my husband, Don, died almost seven years ago.

A lot of people would say that with just the two of us we should just go out for a celebratory dinner and forgo all the work that would be involved with preparing a holiday feast. But I ask you, what fun is there in that? I so enjoy the feeling of preparing a meal that will be enjoyed by those you care about, and who care about you. The feeling of accomplishment; the tantalizing aromas of a roasting turkey with all the trimmings that makes the mouth water and overwhelms the senses. The feel in the crisp fall air that brings back the childhood memories of family feasts. Holidays where the entire family has gathered round to celebrate those special moments that, these days, are so few and far between. When you are alone those memories wrap around you like a warm blanket on a cold day and chase away the loneliness that seems to permeate the air on any other given day. The holidays are a time for giving and loving and helping others. These are my favorite months of the year. It's that special feeling you get when you see the joy in someone's face when all you have to do is smile at them and wish them a happy Thanksgiving. Although it is an American holiday, I wish the sentiment of this season could be felt around the world. A time to say thank you for the blessings that we have received throughout the year. Even those who have so little can find something to be thankful for, even if it something as simple as not being in pain, emotional or physical, or perhaps just being alive for one more day. That is always something to be thankful for. Life is a precious gift. We should all be thankful for it.

I want to especially wish all of our soldiers stationed all over the world; fighting for our freedom and our right to celebrate these holidays that we so often take for granted, a heartfelt thank you for your sacrifices. There are so many of them that are fighting violent terrorists who only want to subjugate the rest of the world. From the bottom of my heart, I THANK YOU!!! Many of you will not be alive to celebrate with your families and I want to wish your families my best to them and let them know that they will always be in my heart and my prayers for their sacrifices.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL.

Here is something that I thought y'all might enjoy.

The Lady the Eagle and the Bell


In a field of royal blue,
Fifty stars are standing proud,
As thirteen stripes dance in the wind,
Above the cheering crowd.
Our allegiance we feel strong,
Deep within our heart
Each one of us vowing
To do our patriotic part.
With a wounded wing
And a tear for those who died,
Our blessed eagle soars
Across the morning sky.
The evil of the madmen
Have tried to break our will
Although or twins have fallen
Our resolve is stronger still
Our freedom we hold dearly
Too many heroes fell
They are guarded closely
By the Lady in the harbor,
The eagle and the bell.




Written by:
Kathy J. Porter
Copyrights 2001 kjp Kathy J. Porter

No comments:

Post a Comment